Bright Bright Great is Looking For A Senior Back-End Developer
Back-End Developer with Basic Front-End Knowledge
BBG is looking for a passionate, multidisciplinary back-end developer with a focus on WordPress CMS, back-end technologies and integrations. The ideal candidate has high fluency in the technologies that comprise our back-end stack and some fluency in front-end technology.
What you’ll be doing
- Building reliable websites and services with PHP and WordPress
- Implementing and optimizing deployment and hosting infrastructure
- Maintaining and improving back-end code bases across a variety of client websites, and identifying where portions of them can be abstracted into reusable components
- Collaborating with designers and front-end developers to create organized, documented, predictable back-end implementations to enable their work
- Communicating with clients throughout the entire project, from kickoff through launch
- Contributing to our team culture through code reviews, contributing ideas, improving processes, and giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Directly collaborating with clients throughout the project lifecycle, including presenting and pitching work
Technical Requirements & Skills
BBG is constantly evolving and changing, and the sites we have built reflect a wide array of technologies and processes. We expect you to come in with your own understanding and guidance as to how we structure and deploy the backends of our future projects, but you will frequently need to dip into older projects and solve problems using the tools and methodologies upon which they were built. These include:
Team-lead fluency in the following technologies:
- Continuous Integration (CI) and deployment tools
- WordPress metadata extension via Carbon Fields/Advanced Custom Fields
- WordPress form builder tools such as Ninja Forms/Gravity Forms
- Building against and extending the WordPress API
- Asset packaging/optimization via Grunt/Webpack
- Basic SEO practices
- Git and code review
Because we are a small team, you may also need:
- Competency in performing basic front-end tasks:
- Updating HTML/Laravel Blade templates
- Integrating front-end JS with back-end data via API or on initial page load
- Minor CSS updates
We look to find that a person who has these skills and exhibits familiarity with these tools and processes has at least four years of experience working with WordPress and PHP.
The Rest of the Stack
This is what BBG utilizes for the rest of our technology stack, so please let us know if you have experience with any of the following:
- HTML, semantic markup, and ARIA roles
- CSS and CSS preprocessors (we use SASS with the SCSS syntax)
- OpenGraph Metadata
Additionally, we commonly field requests from clients to build integrations against other services they use in the course of their business, so let us know if you have any experience working with any of the following:
- Custom social media API integrations (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
The ideal candidate is:
- Detail oriented
- A problem solver
- Over communicative
- Passionate and motivated to learn
- Works well both in a team and independently
- Able to handle multiple projects at the same time
- Works well in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
As a small, agile company, we expect our developers to jump in and take an assertive role, sometimes as a technical lead, always supporting our team’s needs. You’ll be involved from estimation, through launch and support, always assisting with client communication. You’ll build some really cool stuff, further your skills, and learn some new ones… with our amazing team.
About Bright Bright Great
Bright Bright Great is a strategic digital brand agency founded in 2007.
We create world-class brands and meaningful, inclusive experiences that delight, engage, and deliver value to all users. We’ve partnered with clients large and small across education, finance, retail, fashion, food and beverage, and travel.
As of 2020, Bright Bright Great is entirely remote, with a physical HQ in Chicago. Talented applicants from all locations are encouraged to apply.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401K savings plan
- Paid time off
- Bonus time off with tenure, goals and milestones
- Company life insurance plan
- Short-term disability insurance
How to apply
To apply, please send the following to email@example.com.
- A brief introduction to yourself
- Your resume
- Your portfolio URL with at least 5 sample projects breaking down your role within each project and other team members involved in the project.
- Link to your GitHub
We’re a diverse team that enjoys working together. We do not discriminate on the basis of religion, race, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
No recruiters. BBG is an equal opportunity employer.