Bright Bright Great would like to thank Arizona State University for an amazing lecture event. It was a blast and we hope we were helpful. If you are looking for help with your resume and portfolio, or have any general questions drop a tweet at us.
First BBG reviewed and blogged about The Visual Miscellaneum. Now the nice peeps at Harper Collins have made our day again by letting us interview his creator, David McCandless!
David makes our world clearer every day through his website Information Is Beautiful, and we share the love for information graphics, facts and whiskey.
The future according to David? New Apple gadgets like the iBuprofen, the iPod Utility Belt (just like Batman’s!) and something mysterious very appropriately called “Mysteron.”
1. If you could have actual data of something very intriguing to make a chart, what would that be?
I’d like to make more images of psychological and emotional data. Like patterns in dreams, moods, relationships – the kinds of things that don’t technically “exist” materially speaking, but are likely to have some hidden patterns and structure in them. Not quite sure how I’d do it though!
2. What chart has been impossible to make?
No chart has been impossible. NOTHING CAN RESIST THE ALL-SPANNING MIGHT OF THE CHART!
3. How do you decide what should be turned into a graph?
Frustration, ignorance and curiosity. Those are my leads. If I’m annoyed that I don’t get something important. Or I don’t understand something. Or I wonder how something works. Those feelings are the fuel for an image.
4. Are you making a chart of this questionnaire right now?
5. Fave website today to catch up on worthy information.
Reddit. (Very intelligent comments)
6. Apple’s “Next Big Thing” now that the iPad is out?
No ice, in a green leather armchair, by an open fire, next to a window, over a loch, at the end of the day.
8. I like Twitter like I like ____.
9. Top 3 reasons why you love information.
1. It’s learning – brain food!
2. It’s fun – like putty!
3. It’s everywhere – no escape – so get with it
10. Any chance we can see a David McCandless life chart soon?
I actually really dislike Life Charts. Shhhhhhh! For me, designers should be solving problems and helping the world be more excellent. I don’t see how life charts contribute. Who cares how many bus journeys a designer took??
11. What is the aspect of design you give the highest priority to?
David’s book, The Visual Miscellaneum is out everywhere, so give in and buy it. You can go see your cousin’s new boring play some other time.
By Jocelyn Ibarra for Bright Bright Great.
BBG loves books!